Friday, July 21, 2006

Flutterbies














Two-tailed Swallowtail (Papilio multicaudata)

















Early this week it dawned on me that I hadn't seen any of the beautiful butterflies we usually get this time of year. My butterfly bushes have just begun to bloom and while filling the bird bath last night look what decided to show up! I don't know if they're later than usual or if this is the normal time, but I was very happy to see that at least one has finally made an appearance.

I still haven't seen any Monarchs like in years past. Maddie & I had so much fun chasing them all over her backyard last year, but Emily and I haven't even seen one. Maybe it's too soon. We missed the spring migration, but there's still a chance to see them this fall.

I don't know what it is about watching these beautiful, delicate creatures light on a blooming plant, but they're mesmerizing and I find myself smiling whenever they pay us a visit.

No comments: